Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions apply to the 2022 Momentum Indigenous Scholarship (the “Award“) awarded by Strathcona Resources Ltd. (“Strathcona“). By submitting an Award application form to Strathcona you (an “Applicant“) acknowledge and agree that you have read, and that the Award will be subject to, these Terms and Conditions.
Strathcona will award up to twelve (12) scholarships in the amount of CAD $5000 each to eligible Applicants whose Application (as defined below) meets the submission requirements. Strathcona may, at any time in their sole discretion, disqualify an Applicant who does not meet the entrant eligibility requirements or the submission requirements.
Entrant Eligibility Requirements
At the time of their application, each Applicant must be:
- the age of majority or have permission from a parent or legal guardian to participate;
- members of an Indigenous Community near one of Strathcona’s operating areas in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan as set forth on Strathcona’s website from time to time (“Operating Areas“); and
- enrolled in or have been accepted to attend an accredited post-secondary institution in a full-time program (as defined by the applicable post-secondary institution) leading to a recognized degree, diploma or trade for the upcoming academic year.
Past recipients of the Award may re-apply, as long as they still meet all entrant eligibility requirements.
Strathcona reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine whether an Applicant meets the entrant eligibility requirements.
An application for the Award (each, an “Application“) will only be considered if it meets the following requirements:
- submitted a completed application form online;
- Only online applications will be considered for the Award.
- signed consent form from a parent or legal guardian (if under the age of majority);
- two (2) references;
- One academic reference and one character reference;
- Neither reference can be a friend or relative of the Applicant;
- proof of acceptance (or enrolment) in an accredited post-secondary or apprenticeship training program on a full-time basis (as defined by the applicable post-secondary institution) for the 2022-2023 regular academic year;
- transcript for the most recently completed regular academic year; and
- a document demonstrating membership in an Indigenous community near Strathcona’s Operating Areas.
Each attachment must have a .jpg, .pdf or .doc extension.
All personal and other information requested by and supplied to Strathcona for the purpose of the Application process must be truthful, complete, accurate and in no way misleading.
Strathcona shall have the right at any time to request proof of identity and/or eligibility documentation to disburse the Award. Failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification.
The application period begins at 8:00 AM Monday, April 25, 2022 and closes at 5:00 PM Friday, June 17, 2022 (“Deadline“). Applications must be received via the online application within this period to be eligible for consideration.
Selection Process and Notification
A selection committee comprised of Strathcona employees will meet after the Deadline to review all Applications and to select the recipients of the Award (“Recipients“). Selection will be based on eligibility and decision criteria including:
- community impact and involvement;
- resiliency demonstrating overcoming challenges and barriers;
- merit, including academic record and career goals; and
The selection committee of Strathcona reserves the right to render a final determination of the Award Recipients.
Privacy/Use of Personal Information
Deferral of an Award
Requests for deferral of the Award are considered individually and granted at the sole discretion of Strathcona.
Modifications, Amendments and Cancellations of the Award
Strathcona reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, amend or cancel an Award at any time without notice. Strathcona retains full discretion to make all decisions on the awarding of the Award and the administration of the terms and conditions of the Award. By applying for an Award, each Applicant agrees that they will have no claim against Strathcona on the basis of the failure to grant an Award, Strathcona’s evaluation of Applications, or the modification, amendment or revocation of an Award.
Rescinding an Award
Strathcona may rescind an Award if the Recipient:
- fails to meet the eligibility criteria of the Award;
- has been suspended or excluded from a school or course of study;
- has provided incorrect, false or misleading information or withheld relevant information in the Application or after receiving an Award; or
- engages in conduct that is inconsistent with Strathcona’s values or workplace policies, or conduct that, in the opinion of Strathcona, in its sole discretion, could bring the program or Strathcona into disrepute.
If an Award is rescinded, cancelled or modified, Strathcona will have the right to require the Recipient to repay amounts advanced up to the value of the Award.
All Recipients are responsible for informing themselves of the tax consequences of receiving the Award.
- The likelihood of receiving the Award is dependent on the number of Applications.
- Strathcona will not return or destroy any of the documentation submitted. Each Applicant should retain a copy of their Application and documents for their records.
- Strathcona is not responsible for lost Applications.
- If any action is required to be taken falls on a weekend or statutory holiday in Canada, such action shall be made or taken on the next business day.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and the applicable laws of Canada.